Sunday, January 15, 2012

No Place like Homesickness (CSA letter 3)

Oz Farm Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) letter, written in July/August

Beauty-full CSA members,

There is nothing quite like leaving the farm to really, really appreciate living on the farm!

After 3 months as an apprentice at Oz, I had become homesick for the place of my upbringing (Chico) in more ways than I was even aware of, and 3 months was the longest I had ever been away. I missed places, and people, and those glorious, juicy orange globes they call "peaches" which don't grow in Oz's cool valley home.

I got restless, wanting to get out of the fog and back to the hot, sunny valley where I've spent most of my life. Back to a city, and out of quiet, rural isolation. Back to a place where a calendar can be filled with social events, farmers' markets most days of the week (peaches included!), and leisurely bike rides through the park.

At last, I made my break from the farm and drove East and North, right into the sweltering Sacramento Valley's blue sky stove top. By mid-day, my brain would click off from the heat shock, and at night I'd sweat and try to keep the mosquitoes at bay by covering myself with the thinnest sheet possible. I found city life to be too much; too many cars, too much pavement, too many people, too many text messages, too many distractions, too much going on. I ate a lot of processed food, and watched as my Oz Farm veggie supply dwindled until I had no tomatoes, no lettuce, no carrots left.

I was only gone a little more than a week, but it was enough time for me to realize how truly blessed I am to live the way I do, immersed in the natural rhythm and order of nature, surrounded not by a quantity, but a quality of good, hard-working people who put their hands in the soil every day, and allowing my mind to relax in the simple, secure and peaceful home I have here at Oz.

There are many treasures to be found in cities, but for mental and bodily health, simple beauty, and fresh air, you can't beat rural life.

(Oh yes, and the fresh farm food is alright too!)

I now look forward to my remaining 3 months as never before, and intend to savor every bit of it while I'm here. Please enjoy your veggies, and whatever you have here and now.

Blessings and gratitude,
Farmer Moss




Creamy Artichoke Dip (modified from allrecipes.com)

INGREDIENTS:
Cooked, chopped hearts and tender ends of your artichoke leaves
1 cup mayonnaise (or veganase, of course)
1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers (or fresh ones if you have them)
A sprinkling of chopped salad onion greens and cilantro

DIRECTIONS:
First boil whole artichokes submerged in a pot of salted water for 35-45 minutes or until a fork easily pokes into bottom of stem. Let cool, then cup up edible parts (bottoms of leaves, and the soft, delicious "heart" hiding under it all!)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Mix all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl, leaving aside 1/2 cup of the Parmesan. Scoop the mixture into a pie pan or baking pan. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of Parmesan.
Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly and slightly browned. Serve warm. Dip your green beans or bits of cabbage in it!

Noodle-less Zucchini Noodles (straight from the farm kitchen)

This is the easiest thing you can do with zucchini besides eating it raw, but is nevertheless a great base for any number of pasta sauces. I like making pesto with any greens I can gather as a noodle topping. I have experimented with arugula, kale, chard and basil so far. Ever try making Braising Mix pesto with garlic and walnuts? Tell me how it goes!

INGREDIENTS: zucchini, salt

DIRECTIONS: Bring half a pot of water to a boil with a pinch of salt. Cut zucchini into long, somewhat thin strips, about the thickness of a permanent marker. Place zucchini strips into boiling water and cook, covered, until zucchini is soft, but before it turns to mush. Pour into strainer and top with your favorite sauce and freshly chopped tomatoes! Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment